Tuesday 21 January 2014

Decorating on a Budget

Another of my new series for 2014 is 'decorating on a budget' - tips and ideas for ways to beautify your home without breaking the bank. Today I've got a few different ideas for you to try...

Decorate with nature: Mother Nature is the most discerning artist, hands down, so take advantage of her creations. Bringing nature inside adds life, texture, shape, and colour. You don't have to spend a lot of money at a florist, just look to your own backyard. Whether it's a singe flower, a branch, or some glossy leaves, keep it simple, and let nature do the talking.




Even a simple bowl of stones can look stunning. Get the kids to help you find pretty and interesting stones from the beach or river.


1 | 2 | 3 | 4


Hanging pictures: Art is the quickest way to add style and personality to your home, but framing can be costly. There are several ways that you can display your unframed artwork that will still look really cool. 

We all know and love washi tape with it's massive range of colours and patterns. Use it to not only stick your pics on the wall, but also frame them.



Wooden pants hangers are a really clever way to hang prints and posters. All you need is a nail or hook to hang them off.



And bulldog clips do an awesome job on larger pieces of art. Just make sure your four nails are in the right place so you don't get a saggy poster.

1 | 2 | 3


Lego display: There are so many cool and inexpensive ways to decorate a child's room. Here are a couple of brilliant and simple ideas using Lego. Glue a Lego base sheet onto the top of wall shelf, or a small side table. Use it to display all your child's Lego creations.



I love this idea to display all the cool Lego characters. If little hands are going to be taking the characters on and off, make sure the blocks are securely attached. Otherwise hang it higher, purely as a cool piece of art.

1 | 2


I hope you've found something here that you can use in your own home. I'd love to see photos if you do - email them to me, or post them to Instagram tagging me in (@cushandnooks), and with #cushandnooksdecoratingonabudget.

9 comments :

  1. Love all your ideas for hanging pics on the wall! Frames are so expensive these days!

    Cat x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cat. I hope you get to try one or two of them x

      Delete
  2. The top picture Vic? Do you know where I can get a vase like that from? They used to have them at Spotlight and Father Rabbit but that was a while ago now. I dont even know what they are called... recycled glass possibly?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Amy, yes, I think they are recycled glass vases. I'll keep my eye out for you. I'll send you an email now with a couple of options I know of. x

      Delete
  3. Great series Vic - all fab ideas. Love the lego one! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Michelle. The Lego ideas are so simple but so effective, aren't they?! Love 'em too x

      Delete
  4. Great post, Art and flowers are a wonderful pick me up for any home. Although art can be pricey, you can make cheaper prints look good with reasonably priced frames. I am in the process of framing up some amazing black and white photography of a few old film stars, one is Cary Grant who was my mums cousin. I think they will look great in my hallway which is lacking interest and has little space to be able to use furniture.

    Lee

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, Cary Grant is your 2nd cousin?!!! Very cool. I'm sure he'll look amazing in your hallway, Lee. x

      Delete
  5. Hi Vic,
    Its stunning decorations with in the budget. I really like the decorations.
    danasurfboards.com/surfboard-wall-racks

    ReplyDelete

It's lovely to hear from you. Thanks for your comment. Best wishes, Vic xxx

Blogging tips